Friday, October 5, 2007

Luncheon of the Boating Party

I loved, loved, loved Susan Vreeland's novels, The Passion of Artemesia and Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Both are beautifully written historical fiction novels with art history as the basis. When I heard about her latest novel, Luncheon of the Boating Party, which tells the story of Renoir's creation of his famous painting, I was thrilled. For some reason though, I just couldn't get into it. I checked out the book and didn't get very far. Then I tried the audiobook, and almost had it finished, but it was due back at the library and I found myself not interested enough to keep it over the due date. And I don't know why. The writing is just as beautiful as her other novels. The descriptions of Paris and the countryside, even the colors of the paints, are wonderful. We hear Renoir's story of his attempts to be successful at his dream and solidify his place in the Impressionist movement. And we also hear about the lives of each of the models in his painting, which is fantastic. I think I must just be in a reading funk, because I can't seem to finish anything lately. But I do feel bad about missing the ending. Can someone tell me how it ends? What happens with the painting? Obviously I know he finishes it, but does he get it done in time? Does he find a quatorzieme for the painting? Does it hang in the salon? Does he get together with Alphonsine?

No comments: