Thursday, December 6, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Winter

I hate winter. With a passion. I'll tolerate it until Christmas, but after that, I avoid the outdoors at all costs until spring. Oh sure, it's lovely to sit inside on a winter day, snuggled up on the couch, watching the beautiful snow falling while sipping cocoa. But most of us have to leave the house eventually. And that's why I hate winter. The cold wind whipping through my jacket. My glasses in a constant state of fogginess. Dirty slush fouling up my shoes and soaking my socks. The snowplow that dumps 10 feet of snow in front of my driveway. Sorry, where was I going with that tirade? Oh right-books! Fortunately, there are many, many new books coming out this winter that should keep us occupied until it thaws. There are lots of well known authors with new books coming out, and lots of not-so-well known authors that are getting great reviews.

In January, we will have new books by W.E.B Griffin, Sara Paretsky, John Grisham, Stephen King, Janet Evanovich, Douglas Preston, Stuart Woods, Jayne Anne Krentz, John Lescroart, Barbara Delinsky, Bernard Cornwell, Jack Higgins, Luanne Rice, Rita Mae Brown, Russell Banks, Arturo Perez-Reverte and Geraldine Brooks. One new author to watch is Jeffrey Hantover, whose first novel, The Jewel Trader of Pegu, has been getting a lot of good publicity and reviews. The historical novel follows a Jewish jem trader from Venice to Burma as he seeks his fortune. I'm really looking forward to this one!

In February we will have new books by James Patterson, Robert B. Parker, J.D. Robb, Lisa Scottoline, Danielle Steel, Robert Crais, Sophie Kinsella, and Mary Kay Andrews. Lauren Willig's fourth book in her Pink Carnation series, The Seduction of the Crimson Rose, will also be out this month. I absolutely loved the first three and I can't wait for the next one!

In March we will have new books by Jodi Picoult, Anne Rice, Jeffrey Archer, Steve Martini, Jonathan Kellerman, and Laura Lippman. Benjamin Black's sequel to Christine Falls, Silver Swan, as well as Lisa Lutz's sequel to The Spellman Files, The Curse of the Spellmans, will also be out this month. I enjoyed both of these mysteries (both firsts in a planned series) and am looking forward to meeting up with these characters again. Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong will also be out this month. This novel won the Man Asian Literary Prize a few months ago and has gotten great reviews.

Here's to staying warm with a good book!

No comments: