Friday, February 1, 2008

Can't Get Enough of Those Royals...

Joy of joys, I just read that Alison Weir has a new historical fiction novel coming out in April, called Lady Elizabeth, based on Elizabeth I. Weir is well-known for her biographies of royalty, such as Eleanor of Aquitaine, Queen Isabella, Henry VIII and his wives and children. Last year, she crossed into fiction with her historical novel, Innocent Traitor, about the life of Lady Jane Grey, who was queen of England for nine days after Henry VIII's son Edward died, and before Mary was placed on the throne. I thoroughly enjoyed Innocent Traitor and I can't wait for this next one. I just picked up Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl and I am hooked! The court intrigue and the lives of these women amaze me. How did I ever go this long without reading Philippa Gregory? Fans of Philippa Gregory should enjoy Weir's historical fiction (and her non-fiction, if you're looking for the "real" story).

1 comment:

Kylee S. said...

I have never been a big fan of historical fiction but I have been hearing a lot about Weir's work and I am very familiar with but have never read any of Gregory's work but they are quite popular and those who have read them enjoyed them immensely.