Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Books to Movies

If you've read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, you know it just begs for a Lifetime movie adaptation. And it's finally here. Lifetime will be airing The Memory Keeper's Daughter on Saturday, April 12th at 8pm central. Emily Watson (who I love) will be playing the nurse, Caroline Gill.

This Sunday will be the final installment of PBS's Complete Jane Austen series. Sigh. Fortunately, they have some great movies lined up to follow. On April 13th will be the adaptation of E.M. Forster's novel, A Room With a View. On April 20th, we see Daniel Radcliffe in a roll other than Harry Potter in My Boy Jack, the story of Rudyard Kipling's search for his 17-year-old son (Daniel) after he goes missing during WWI. And, some of you may know that I love a good adaptation of an Elizabeth Gaskell novel. North & South (with Richard Armitage, not Patrick Swayze) is one of my favorite movies and rivals my affections for the Colin Firth version of P&P. Wives & Daughters is pretty great too. On May 4th, 11th and 18th, PBS will be airing the BBC's adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's novel Cranford. Joy!

Based on the novel by Kate Jacobs, which I have heard is a great read, The Friday Night Knitting Club will be released on the big screen in June, starring Julia Roberts. Definitely a great Girls Night Out movie.

One of my favorite chick lit novels, Confessions of a Shopaholic is also coming to the big screen (not sure on the release date). Isla Fisher (from Wedding Crashers) will be playing Becky Bloomwood. John Goodman and Joan Cusack will be playing her parents. Hmmm, not sure I see it, but I'll go with it. From the description I read, it seems that the movie will be set in New York City, so they must not be going the British route, which is disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the movie note - I enjoyed the book and now will watch!