Monday, January 26, 2009

Sarah's Key

We've had a rush on Tatiana de Rosnay's novel Sarah's Key lately. It was originally released in 2007, but the recent paperback release in late 2008 must have sparked more interest because we can't keep it on the shelf. I've had this on my to-read list for a while, but since so many of our patrons seem to be reading it (and liking it), I decided to move it to the top of my list. Most of the feedback that I've heard is that this is a novel you can't put down, and I would agree. I was up well past my bedtime because I was so engrossed. The novel alternates between the present and 1942. In Paris in 1942, thousands of Jewish families were rounded up and sent to concentration camps. Sarah's family was one of them. When the police came for Sarah's family in the middle of the night, Sarah hid her little brother in a secret cupboard, thinking she would return shortly. But when she realizes that they will not be returning home soon, she is distraught over her brother. Julia, a journalist, is writing an article commemorating the 16th anniversary of the 1942 roundup. Through her research, she finds that her family has a connection to Sarah, and she becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to Sarah and her brother. This is a great story with short, alternating chapters that keep the plot moving swiftly. The resolution was not what I was expecting, which was refreshing and kept the novel from becoming trite. A great read for fans of historical fiction or those just looking for a good story.

No comments: