Thursday, February 19, 2009

Boeuf Bourguignon, Anyone?

Since I've been having a little trouble lately finding books that hold my interest, I recently checked out the audiobook of Julie Powell's memoir Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living. I read this book a few years ago when it was first published. I loved reading the book and even gave it as a gift to a few friends, so I knew the audiobook would be a sure thing. And I was right. I think I may have even enjoyed it more the second time around because Julie narrates the audiobook, so I get to hear the story in her own voice. If you are unfamiliar with the book, Julie decides that she is going to cook all 524 of the recipes in Julia Childs' cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Have you ever looked at this cookbook? It's a wonder. Some of the ingredients are completely unknown to me, and the amount of butter she uses will make your arteries clench in fear. Challenged with a tiny apartment kitchen, difficulties procuring marrow bones, and the gruesome task of killing several lobsters, Julie makes her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking, even if they do frequently eat well past 9pm. This is a funny, sweet, touching story and if you haven't read it, you are missing out. The movie version is set for release this fall, I believe, with Amy Adams playing Julie and Meryl Streep playing Julia. And I just read yesterday that her new book will also be released in the fall. Here's the description from PW: "Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat and Obsession. With her marriage challenged by an irresistible love affair, Powell decides to immerse herself in a new obsession: butchery." Love affair? Oh no! Are Julie and Eric on the rocks? I hope not. And butchery? Gross. I've got to get my hands on an advanced copy.

No comments: