Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Woe is me...and some other stuff

I apologize again for the lack of posts lately. My reading slump continues and I feel as if I have nothing clever to say about anything. I finished 4 books during the month of March, which for me is terrible. It feels like forever since I last finished an audiobook. I am slowly working my way through Amanda Foreman's The Duchess, which is fascinating, but dense. I've started the audiobook for Erica Bauermeister's The School of Essential Ingredients, but it's driving me nuts so it's only a matter of time before I give up. I'm a little worried about the length of time this slump has gone on. I know it wasn't nearly this long last year, so I'm nervous that maybe this isn't just a slump. Maybe Google really has made me stupid. What do I do?

In the meantime, here are some things you may find of interest...

Al Gore has written a follow-up to An Inconvenient Truth titled Our Choice. While An Inconvenient Truth was focused on spreading the truth about global warming, his latest book will offer ways that we can fix the problem. Due out in November.

Science fiction writer Robert Jordan, who passed away in 2007, left the last installment of his Wheel of Time series unfinished. The novel has been finished by Brandon Sanderson and will be published in three separate volumes. The first volume is due out in November.

An assistant of the late Michael Crichton found a completed manuscript in Crichton's computer files titled Pirate Latitudes. The adventure story is set in 17th century Jamaica and will be published in November.

Andy Garcia is co-writing and directing a movie about the last years of Ernest Hemingway's life. Anthony Hopkins and Annette Bening are in the running to star. How great would that be? They would be perfect for those roles.

Fox has acquired film rights to adapt Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. This will not be a documentary, but a fictional feature based on the ideas in Weisman's book showing an event that would lead to man's disappearance. How uplifting.

Sana Krasikov's collection of stories titled One More Year has won the $100,000 Sami Rohr Prize for Jewish Literature for emerging writers of Jewish literature. Dalia Sofer, author of The Septembers of Shiraz, has won the $25,000 Sami Rohr Prize Choice Award.

The Bookstall in Winnetka has several very famous authors coming this month, including Alexander McCall Smith on April 29th! Take a look at their website for a list of all the authors appearing.

No comments: