Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jennifer Weiner, what is UP?

I just finished Jennifer Weiner's latest, Best Friends Forever, and I'm just confused. As I began reading it, I found myself quickly sucked into the story. Addie and Val meet at the age of 9 and instantly become best friends. But something happens during their senior year of high school and the two haven't spoken in years. On the night of their class reunion, Val shows up on Addie's doorstep asking for help. The story alternates between Addie and Val's backstory and the present-day predicament. As I was reading it, I was thinking this may very well be Weiner's best book yet. The backstory is touching and captivating. Addie is a great character. The overall tone is fairly serious, but Weiner lightens it up every now and then with her usual wit. I was a little worried about this novel. Her last two novels, while good, were not great. Not like her earlier novels. But this one was very satisfying. Until I got to the end. I won't give it away, but let's just say that it seemed like she just recycled the plot from Good in Bed. Totally unoriginal and very disappointing. I'm just so befuddled. Please don't let this stop you from reading it. It really was a wonderful read, up until the end. I'm all for a nice, happy ending, but it feels like she was just in a hurry to wrap it up and couldn't come up with anything new. What was up with that? Does anyone else feel that way?

2 comments:

Karen T. said...

I totally agree Melissa. The only book I can think of where she doesn't tie up all the loose ends neatly into a bow is Goodnight Nobody. And really, the only part I enjoyed of that book was the ending!
I know Weiner is trying to frame the "chick lit" designation so it isn't used in such a derogatory way, but c-mon. Endings like that are why people label her books as "chick lit" and not modern fiction.

Rachelima said...

I haven't yet read this one, but I read her others and I wasn't impressed. Although her dialoge and characterizations are good, her plots are dull and unrealistic. I prefer so many other authors, I don't get the fuss.