Thursday, August 12, 2010

Forget eHarmony and Match.com

Not that I'm looking, but this great website was just passed on to me called Alikewise. Alikewise is a dating site that allows you to find people based on their book tastes. Perfect for librarians and book lovers, right?

I spent a little time browsing the site. For research purposes. I don't think there are many people using this site yet, because most of the searches I did resulted in the same 3 or 4 guys each time. None of which were of interest to me. But that got me thinking: is it a dealbreaker if your mate doesn't like the same literature as you? My husband is not a reader, but this has never been a problem for us. Whenever I talk to him about something I'm reading, he just nods his head and pretends like he is listening. And he tolerates my need to listen to audiobooks in the car, even if he'd rather be listening to some horrible death metal. I'm not sure if I would want a partner who is as into books as I am. At least he balances out my nerdiness and makes sure I am exposed to things like Jersey Shore and Ice Road Truckers.* What do you think? Is the same taste in literature important in a relationship? What if your mate is not into literature at all?

*In his defense, my husband does watch a lot of decent TV, like the History and Discovery channels.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t think the “same taste” is important, but the love of books and the value of reading have always been a part of my marriage. My husband has wide-ranging and eclectic tastes in books – recent reads include “The Open Society and It’s Enemies” (Vols. 1 & 2); The Official MGB 1975-1980 Driver’s handbook” and “The Good Son.” Mine include “The Imperfectionists,” “The Bowl is Already Broken” and “The Loving Kindness Meditation.” I appreciate the fact that if he knows something – say the exact date Hitler invaded Poland or who was the Mayor of Chicago after Big Bill Thompson – I don’t have to. I hope that he appreciates my vast knowledge of the Harry Potter books. He generally reads for facts, or plot. I generally read for mood, or relationship. Individually, we’re each a bit one sided. . . taken as a couple, though, we’re a perfect and well-rounded reader!

PW said...

Another addicted reader married to a mostly non-reader. I agree that the balance is good for both of us. He reads much more than he did prior to knowing me. (Though I'm careful to recommend books I think he'd like rather than simply books I liked.) I've been introduced to things I'd never have done without him. (After 30 years and 2 sports minded daughters, I'm able to sit through a ball game without pulling out a book.)

Anonymous said...

The "same taste" maybe not, but I know a lot of people who have those couple books that they love or loathe that will kill the relationship if a potential love interest has the polar opposite opinion. "Liking" is OK, but I've heard a fair share of lit snobs make comments along the lines of "his favorite book is The Da Vinci Code. We're obviously not compatible."

Strangely, I think a non-reader and a reader are probably more compatible than a pair invested in literature who hold different interests. It's a lot easier to say "this is a great book, you should read it" and have them shrug it off than it is to have them read it and question your taste level.

I like the idea of the site though. Sometimes a favorite novel can hint at something much deeper in a person's character.