Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Running with Magazines

After Monday's post on Christopher McDougall's book Born to Run, our trusty Reference Librarian told me that we have a subscription to Runner's World magazine and suggested I check it out. This month's issue happened to have a feature article on Lisa Smith-Batchen, who is an ultrarunner and recently became the first person to run 50 50-mile runs, one in each state. Back to back. That's 2500 miles! She went through 18 pairs of running shoes and 5 pairs of Crocs and consumed 6000 calories a day. So amazing. And so inspiring. I went on to find several other athletes in this magazine that are such inspiring characters: the servicewoman who lost her vision from a virus she contracted while serving in Iraq and went on to run again (with her seeing-eye dog) or the man who has set numerous running records as a single-leg amputee.

And it's not all for serious, long-distance runners. There are plenty of articles about eating right, staying healthy, and tips for beginning runners. I think I've found another magazine to add to my monthly pile!

1 comment:

Amy R. said...

Yes, Runners World is great! Glad you gave it a try!