Friday, February 11, 2011

The Face on the Milk Carton?

Many readers can name the books that were their favorites growing up and can explain in detail the story.  Many people can explain years later exactly why they loved or hated a book.  Personally, I have an amazing ability to quickly forget the details of a story but always retain the vague feeling of "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".  Professional right?  Well, it's the reason why I chose to read Look Again by Lisa Scottoline.

I distinctly remember reading the book The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney when I was growing up.  I know it was a story about a girl who notices a missing child picture on the side of a milk carton and decides she is that missing girl.  That's about all I remember about the story.  I do, however, remember wondering if that could possibly ever happen to me and I would sadly find out that my parents had actually kidnapped me as a child.  This kinda sticks as a "thumbs up" book for me.  Side note--I'm very happy my parents didn't kidnap me.  Anyway, this random fascination stuck with me and I found myself reading the blurb for Look Again thinking "It's like the grown up version!".  A must read.

Right off the bat I have to tell you, when it comes to being the grown up version of The Face on the Milk Carton, it didn't disappoint.  Ellen Gleeson is a single mother to her adopted son, Will.  She adopted Will when he was abandoned in a hospital as a sick one year old.  Four years later, Ellen receives a missing child postcard in the mail with a picture that looks shockingly similar to her son.  You may be able to guess what happens but the how, what, where, when is pretty entertaining.  Look Again moves really quickly in a James Patterson super short chapters sort of way and has a great balance of characters to root for as well as against.  There is a little bit of violence towards to end but is quite minimal for what I was expecting.  If you're looking for a really in-depth, heart-pounding thriller then this may not be the choice for you.  If you're interested in a quick, engaging missing child mystery-go for it! 

1 comment:

Netherland said...

I like "Look Again"...Scottoline brings a dramatic, touching story to the readers by giving us believable characters, real life situations, and relatable stories. I fell in love with this book almost instantly. The story content is serious, a mother's love for her child whether biological or chosen, and how through immeasurable sacrifices comes to understand that the bonds of that relationship are strong enough to survive any situation. The story was relevant and felt as though it was coming from a place of angst and heartache and really captured me by pulling me into the story instead of being the outsider.