Thursday, March 17, 2011

If you're enough lucky to be Irish...You're lucky enough!

Tonight I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day discussing James Joyce's collection of short stories, Dubliners. I read Dubliners in college and remember enjoying it. But since I've been having such a hard time slogging my way through Ulysses over the past several months, I wondered if my memory was faulty. Did I really enjoy it, or did I just tell myself that I did? Would I still enjoy Dubliners now? Is it as difficult to read as Ulysses? Since our book discussion fell on St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to read an Irish author, and really, who better than Joyce? If I chose Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake, I knew I'd lose all my members, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to revisit Dubliners. I've found that I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's a refreshing break from the hard work one must put in to Ulysses. Dubliners is a great introduction to Joyce, and I'm so glad I picked it up again. The New Dubliners was published a few years ago to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Dubliners and contains stories from leading Irish authors such as Roddy Doyle, Colum McCann, Joseph O'Connor, Bernard MacLaverty, and Frank McGuinness. I've ordered this and am so excited to read it.

Angelina Benedetti's 35 Going on 13 blog has some great suggestions for Irish YA fiction for adults. She reminded me that I've been wanting to read Bog Child. I'm going to be on an Irish fiction bender.

No comments: