Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cats Rule

Lately I've been reading nonfiction books about animals for a nonfiction genre study I am participating in. I felt like I was showing too much favoritism to the dog books (Marley & Me, Merle's Door, etc.) and thought I should have a balanced selection of books, so I set about finding a good book about a cat. I chose Peter Gethers' The Cat Who Went to Paris. This was a fun, quick, light read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Gethers, a longtime dog lover was given a Scottish Fold cat by a girlfriend and immediately fell in love. Gethers named him Norton and began taking him around Manhattan, on trips across the country, and even to Paris. I was amazed at how easy it was for Gethers to take Norton so many places. He did have one incident with a stewardess-excuse me, flight attendant, on an airplane, but otherwise, Gethers takes him to hotels, restaurants, on buses, boats and planes with few problems. It's pretty astonishing that Norton never gets lost or runs away, even though he has every opportunity to do so. He follows Gethers on walks and always returns to the same spot where Gethers leaves him. Throughout the book, Gethers deals with the breakup of a serious relationship, a return to the dating scene and the death of his father. Norton is there throughout everything-even showing his distaste for a few of Gethers' dates. There is also a very humorous story of Norton using Roman Polansky's bathtub as a toilet. A great read for cat lovers!

No comments: