Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Books on the Big Screen

I've been living under a rock lately. I've been in denial about it until I just caught up with one of my favorite book blogs, Early Word, and saw that Lisa See's fantastic novel Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is coming out in theaters this summer. I hadn't even known it was in production! It's definitely time for me to come out from under my rock. So I decided to see what else I wasn't aware of. It turns out that the next few months are chock full of some great books coming to the big screen. Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants starring Reese Witherspoon is coming out on April 22nd. Ok, I did know about that one. Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed hits the big screen on May 6th starring Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin. A great flick to see with girlfriends! On July 8th, One for the Money, based on Janet Evanovich's fabulously fun series. Katherine Heigl plays Stephanie Plum. Can't wait! Also being released on the same day is David Nicholls' One Day staring Anne Hathaway. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan will be released on July 15th. The trailer looks gorgeous. Sarah's Key is coming to theaters on July 22nd. The Help will be released on August 12th. This is sure to be huge! And of course, the most important movie of my summer: the final part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on July 15th. I'm excited and sad at the same time. I also read that Jennifer Lawrence (from Winter's Bone) has been chosen to play the part of Katniss Everdeen in the adaptation of Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. According to Early Word, some people were complaining because the blond Lawrence didn't fit the book's description of Katniss. I know Katniss is described as dark-haired and olive-skinned, but in my imagination, she was always blond and fair, so I think Lawrence fits perfectly. I can't wait to see what they come up with for this movie.

No comments: