Thursday, January 21, 2010

More Cool Stuff I Learned in Books

Everyone has probably heard the rule about only eating oysters during months that contain the letter "R." I never really gave it much thought, but I always thought this had something to do with the oysters not being fresh during the off months. Like, maybe the oysters are old or something? It turns out that when the water temperatures get over 70 degrees (May-August), oysters will begin reproducing, and when the oyster is all full of sperm or eggs, they taste really gross. Also, oysters are capable of changing their sex. One year they can produce sperm, the next, eggs. Who knew?


Learned from: "On the Bay" by Bill Buford in Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink, edited by David Remnick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can there be no other comments on this post?!?! This is fascinating. Thank you for making me never have to read or learn stuff on my own again!