Monday, March 29, 2010

The Spellmans Will Strike Again

There have been rumors flying around that Lisa Lutz's The Spellmans Strike Again is the last novel of her Spellman series. In their reviews Booklist, Library Journal, and Publisher's Weekly all referred to this as the final installment in the series. Some of us were trying to figure out why this relatively new author would stop writing such a successful (and fabulous) series so soon. I mean, I'm not saying she should write 37 books and get to the point where we all roll our eyes every three months when a new one is released, but after only four books, I still want more. What could the reason be? Is she sick? Maybe she's taking a hiatus from writing to pursue some other career. Does she have a fabulous new character that's even better than Izzy and her crazy family? Taking a lesson from Izzy, I decided that I would use my fabulous reference/detective skills to get to the bottom of this. Surely there must be some information posted on the internets.

I am pleased to say that I have verification from 2 credible sources, (well, actually the same source but in 2 different places) that this is not the end of the Spellmans. In her winter newsletter Lutz says: "Word has also been spreading that The Spellmans Strike Again is the final installment of the Spellman series. Come on, no one likes a tetralogy. America's favorite dysfunctional P.I. family will likely be back after a brief rest." And her Facebook page also refutes this rumor: "Word on the street is that the fourth Spellman book (out in March) will be the last. That's news to me. While it is true that I have been working on other projects, I have no official plans to end the series just yet. Although I won't be spelling the alphabet in Spellman books." Apparently she is working on some new things, but we can all breathe easy. The Spellmans will be back.

P.S. Lisa's latest novel will not disappoint fans of this series. Izzy is as tenacious as ever and Rae is, well, Rae. If you haven't read this series, see my previous reviews here and here and then get reading. You won't regret it.

P.P.S. Booklist, LJ and PW? Really disappointed in you guys. Who started this vicious rumor?

No comments: