Thursday, January 13, 2011

National Book Disappointments

After 90 pages of the National Book Award winner Lord of Misrule, I'm giving up. I think I decided to read it more because it's about horseracing rather than because it is the NBA winner. But I've been plugging along for over a week now and am just not enjoying it. This is not a fast-paced, inspiring Seabiscuit-type of story. The story takes place in West Virginia at a rundown racetrack with broken horses and scheming owners. The language is difficult, so reading it really does require a concentrated effort. Most of the characters are not particularly interesting or likeable except for one: Medicine Ed is a poor, old, illiterate, African American groomer, who worries about where he will live out his remaining days. He is a compelling character and I enjoyed his voice, but overall the story left me with an overwhelming feeling of loneliness which I don't particularly need during these dark days of winter.

I haven't had much luck with the NBA books this year. I attempted to read two of the NBA nominees and quit both of those as well. I tried to listen to the audiobook versions of both Peter Carey's Parrot and Olivier in America and Nicole Krauss's Great House. Both sounded like books I would enjoy, but neither captured my attention. Perhaps I just don't have the attention span right now to fully engage and appreciate these works. I think I'm going to try some of the Alex Award winners, which might be easier reads.

No comments: