Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ebooks for the Kindle!

The day has finally arrived! We've been waiting a while for Kindle to become compatible with the library's ebook collection and it has finally come. I have to say that this was the quickest, easiest experience I have ever had using Overdrive. I figured the demand for Kindle books would mean that all the good titles would be gone, but I did an advanced search for all Kindle titles that are currently available and found Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie, a brand new title, right away. I selected the option to get for Kindle, checked out the book, was routed through my Kindle account at Amazon, and selected the device that I wanted the book to be sent to (I don't have a Kindle. I'm using the Kindle app on an Android phone). Voila! Less than 2 minutes.

Now I just have to actually read the book. I have downloaded ebooks to my phone and Xoom tablet before to see how it's done, but I've never actually read the book that way. I did buy an e-cookbook, which I like because I can just prop my tablet up on the counter and use the recipe, rather than juggling a big book. But with other books, I've been clinging to print. So, I'm going to try this ebook thing and see how it goes.

No comments: