Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wrapping it up

Once again we are at the end of another year and it's time to talk about our favorite reads of the year.

Kathryn Stockett's The Help has been a huge hit this year, and was one of my favorites. While the story was good, I think it was the exceptional audiobook performance that really made it stand out. My other fiction picks are Brooklyn by Colm Toibin, Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell, and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. For nonfiction, while the writing in David A. Kessler's The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite wasn't anything to get excited about, the subject matter was fascinating.

What were your favorites? Disappointments?

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm finally contributing, Melissa! My favorite book this year and maybe for the past decade was The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. My disappointments have been the adult fiction genre in general... I can't figure out if this is due to being a reference librarian or just my taste which requires me to care about and believe the characters.

Melissa said...

No, I agree. This year has seemed a bit disappointing in the fiction genre. Even of the books that I chose for my favorites, none of them were like "OMG! That was the best book I ever read!" Or even close. Granted, there was a lot I didn't get to this year, so maybe I would have found that book if I had read more. I think my problem is that I'm focusing on quantity, rather than quality. I try to read a lot, so I don't have the time to focus on really good fiction. Maybe next year I should stop trying to read so much and try to read better books.

Rebekah said...

One of my favorites was the YA book Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Another case where the audio really made it shine. Full Cast Audio definitely rocks! :)

Biggest disappointment was probably Jennifer Weiner's latest.