Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

On the evening before her father's funeral, Lexi Smart goes out for drinks with her best friends. After having one too many, she falls and hits her head. When she wakes up, three years have passed and Lexi can't remember any of it. She has changed from a dumpy, frizzy-haired snaggletooth to a slim, beautiful woman with a successful career and a wealthy husband. As she discovers more about her life, she learns that she is no longer the person she once was. Although her life seems perfect on the outside, she has lost her friends and her husband is an obsessive neat freak who doesn't allow carbs in the house. As she tries to piece together the puzzle of her new life, Lexi is determined to uncover the reasons for her drastic changes and get her old life back. I enjoyed this one, as I do all of Kinsella's books. They are fun, light-hearted, quick reads. The one thing that bugged me was the mother. Is it just me, or does it seem like all the mothers in chick lit are portrayed as flighty and self-absorbed? I know it makes for a good laugh, but it's getting a little stale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The characters definitely do seem to have some mother issues. I would say the mom in The Undomestic Goddess was definitely self-absorbed, though not flighty.

I actually like Jane Bloomwood a lot. She's a little flaky, but I also find her funny and endearing. The mother in Remember Me was really annoying though. She didn't really seem to serve much purpose either.