Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cover Art

Do you ever find yourself peeking at other people's books to see what they are reading? I do it all the time. I like to keep up with what people are reading. And I like to silently gloat to myself when I see someone reading something I have already read ("Eat, Pray, Love? I read that months ago. That is sooo last year!"). What if you saw someone reading How to Murder a Complete Stranger and Get Away With It? Don't worry-it's not a real title. It's Flapart. Michelle Waters came up with the idea of creating "misleading reading" book covers when her husband said "wouldn't it be funny if you were sitting on the subway reading a book and on the front cover it said, How to Murder a Complete Stranger and Get Away with It? Imagine what people around you would think." She has created many amusing book covers that run about $6 each, that should make the person sitting next to you on the airplane look twice. I think this could add some amusement to my vacation next month.* Some of my favorites:
Do-It Yourself Dentistry
How to Impersonate an Engineer
How to Steal From Your Neighbor and Get Away With It

*I just tried to order a few of these covers. It seems that the company is based in Canada and charges a $20 international shipping charge to anyone outside Canada. For a $5.99 product? No thanks! Too bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

Just wanted to clear up the shipping issue. We are indeed based in Canada, but International shipping rates are $8.50 for one cover and $10.50 for anything more than that - even you you order 10 covers and everything is shipped by air mail.

I'm glad you liked the idea and thanks for taking the time to "chat" about it.

Michelle Watters

Anonymous said...

Comment #2

Hi Melissa,

I posted my first comment and then suddenly got a really bad feeling in muy gut! In order to be able to upload more products to my site, I changed shopping cart providers yesterday. They have an International default shipping amount of $20.00. I checked and sure enough that's what happened. Needless to say, I've changed it and can't thank you enough for bringing it to my attention.

All the best,
Michelle Watters