Monday, August 18, 2008

This Land is Their Land

When Barbara Ehrenreich published Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, it was a real eye-opener for me. Of course, I was younger then and more naive, but I totally ate it up. Bait and Switch: The Futile Pursuit of the American Dream was good, but it didn't affect me like Nickle and Dimed. Maybe I was just more jaded by then. But I enjoy her writing, so I was eagerly awaiting the audio version of her latest book, This Land is Their Land: Reports From a Divided Nation. I don't usually listen to nonfiction on audio (for me, nonfiction requires more attention than what I usually give to audiobooks), but the book is narrated by Cassandra Campbell, who is one of my favorite narrators and I figured I would be hanging on her every word.

The book consists of several essays that cover what is wrong with America-mainly the growing gap between the rich and the poor. The essays are interesting and timely and have a touch of sarcastic wit to them. One of my favorite book bloggers, Citizen Reader, reviewed this book as well and I agree with her that the collection feels hastily put together. Some of it felt like just a reiteration of what she has said in her other books. Citizen Reader suggests Deer Hunting With Jesus: Dispatches From America's Class War by Joe Bageant as a better read, so I think I'll give it a try.

No comments: