Friday, August 22, 2008

Just What the Librarian Ordered

Although I read quite a bit, it's not everyday that I find a book that I enjoy so much I can't put it down, but yet don't want it to end. I am always getting asked by patrons for Emily Giffin's books, so I decided to see what the fuss was all about. Giffin would be considered "chick lit," which I enjoy, but really good chick lit doesn't come along every day. Something Borrowed is Giffin's first novel, and in my book, qualifies as really good chick lit. I was hooked from the very beginning. The main character Rachel, is facing her thirtieth birthday and is still single. On the night of her birthday party, she ends up sleeping with her best friend Darcy's fiance, Dexter. Now, I'm not usually sympathetic to characters who do this sort of thing, so I thought I might end up hating the book. But it turns out that Darcy has not always been that great of a friend to Rachel, and I actually ended up rooting for Rachel. With the wedding date approaching, Rachel finally delivers an ultimatum to Dexter: call off the wedding or their relationship is over. Usually I can predict the ending to this type of novel right away, but I will be honest-I truly wasn't sure which way things would go until the very end, which is refreshing. Rachel does start to verge on the I'm-truly-happy-now-that-I've-found-someone-character ("I feel freer with Dex than I ever did when I was single. I feel more myself with him than without."). Barf. If there had been much more of that, I wouldn't have been able to tolerate it. But it's a good story with a satisfying ending.

Giffin has three more novels, Something Blue, Baby Proof and Love the One You're With, which I will definitely be reading. I will have to pace myself though, and save her books for when I desperately need a good relaxing read. They are sure winners.

No comments: