Monday, January 16, 2012

Challenge: 420 Characters

Could you write a story in 420 characters? Those of you familiar with Facebook know that the status update field is limited to 420 characters. Lou Beach has compiled a collection of mini stories from his Facebook status updates titled 420 Characters. Some are humorous and some are quite dark. His creativity is impressive, as is his ability to hook the reader in so few characters. I'm not usually a short story fan, but I enjoyed these. My favorite story is about a chicken having a nightmare in which her baby chick, a pink marshmallow Peep, is being devoured by a toddler. The chicken wakes up and says "Christ, I hate that dream."


What would you write, if you had to tell a story in 420 characters?

1 comment:

J. said...

Flash fiction FTW, eh? I'll bite...

As I speak them, my words are barbed wire pulled up my esophagus, gnawing at me, resistant, weighted, pulling my throat into a deep cavity, a vacuum somewhere in my torso. “This is it,” I think, “this is it.” You stare at me, your pupils dilated, and I recall just what it felt like to be a child, to fear the wicked mystery just beyond our reach. To know that everything is larger in the dark, everything becomes more monstrous, more punishing. We are shadows. We are specters. I tell you everything. You speak.