Friday, January 27, 2012

It's here!





Ok, so it's not the Academy Awards but it may as well be for anyone who reads Teen lit. The Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature is for Teen titles what that ridiculously heavy gold statue is for film. As announced this last Monday John Corey Whaley's "Where Things Come Back" was given the honor and (gasp!) I haven't read it yet. In fact, this book was nowhere near my radar for possible choices for this year's Printz award. I like this fact because A. I enjoy surprises and B. This keeps me on my toes and humbles my assumptions about the crazy world of Teen reading. I will definitely be checking this book out soon but in the meantime here are a list of this year's Printz Award honorees.







A perhaps lesser known (but just as significant) award given each year is the Alex Award, which honors 10 titles written for adults but which have special appeal for Teens. This award blurs the line between traditional "Adult" fic and "Teen" fic, which makes the titles below some of my favorite recommendations of the year. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!























1 comment:

Jessica said...

Amazingly, I have read "Where Things Come Back" because Whaley was getting tons of indie street cred last summer. It's a very elegant, very 'literary' YA book. PERFECT for the adult crossover themes that have popped up here lately!