Friday, January 27, 2012

The Hunger Games


I have to admit that I am totally psyched about "The Hunger Games" coming to the big screen on March 23rd!  I knew the film was coming out and all the hype was very positive.  I decided I would take the plunge and read the book before the film came out.  There is a lot of talk these days about YA literature and the crossover appeal of this particular book.  All I can say is that this middle aged man loved it.  I found "The Hunger Games" to be a fascinating mix of fantasy and science fiction and furthermore I was surprised that it was well written as well.  Several years ago I read another YA title that was huge and also was made into a series of movies.  I was amazed how poorly written that particular book was, so it was a pleasure to read "The Hunger Games" after that bad experience.

I very purposely didn't watch any of the trailers for the movie before I finished the book.  I didn't want to read the book with any preconceptions.  The night I finished the book I went over to the computer and found the official trailer and watched it.  I have to admit that after seeing the trailer I was even more excited about the movie.  Many of the images and scenes looked almost exactly as I imagined them.  The main characters seemed to be perfectly cast.  Katniss in particular looked exactly as I imagined she would look.  I've read that the movie is supposed to very closely follow the plot of the book.  If this is the case I don't see how this movie won't be a huge hit that will appeal to audiences of all ages.

You still have two months to go.  So there is still plenty of time to get a copy of "The Hunger Games" and read it for yourself.  Once you do I think you'll understand why so many people are looking forward to the movie coming out.

If you've read the book already are you also excited about watching "The Hunger Games" on the big screen?

No comments: