Friday, December 16, 2011

30 Going on 13; Delving into Teen Fiction!

So you may not think that as an adult it's totally OK to check out what's going on in Teen book world. I'm here to say that there is nothing wrong with finding a gem of a book that's labeled as "Teen" or "YA". In fact, I highly recommend it. As a Youth Services/Teen Librarian I not only spend my days ordering for both Juvenile and Teen fiction collections, but inevitably I find myself spending free time reading from both departments. In my book (pun intended), crossover between the world of Adult fiction and Teen fiction is one of the most entertaining and relevant occurrences in any library. There are plenty of teens who are interested in titles that are housed in Adult fiction, and vice-versa. So don't be afraid or uncomfortable to venture into that unknown territory in the library where the chairs are really bright and the stories are so so intriguing. Teen fiction has all of that drama and creativity you crave, along with the realism and true experiences that bring life to a story.

Check out the "Can I Borrow Your Book" display in the Library's Adult Fiction department for recommended teen titles that fit the bill, or try some of the titles below as well. As an avid adult reader of "Teen labeled" titles I can say this: Once you start reading them, you won't look back; except of course for when you're in the mood for some awesome Adult fiction, but that's a whole other story (again, pun intended)!

Tell us: What's your all time favorite "Teen" or YA" book?


Cryer's Cross
You are my Only
Anna Dressed in Blood
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
The love curse of the Rumbaughs
The Musicians Daughter
The Twin's Daughter
Bitter Melon
PostSecret : Extraordinary confessions from ordinary lives
The Silence of Murder

No comments: