Monday, December 26, 2011

Funny You Should Mention Chelsea Handler...



Every time my husband and I have to make a road trip to visit our families for the holidays, I insist on listening to an audiobook. I tend to get car sick, so I prefer listening to a book rather than reading in the car. And there is no way I'm going to give up several prime hours of reading time to stare out the window at corn fields. The problem is that my husband and I have very different reading tastes, so it's always difficult to find an audiobook we both enjoy. I have had pretty good success with humor. Last Christmas we enjoyed listening to I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas by Lewis Black. This year I snagged Chelsea Handler's latest Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me. Halfway through our drive I was gasping for breath and literally weeping (from laughing, not crying, in case that was unclear). Two days later I was still tittering when I recalled one of the more humorous stories.
It turns out that Chelsea Handler is a huge liar. She delights in pulling pranks on those around her and will go to great lengths to create elaborate ruses to trap her victims. This book is a compilation of stories told by Chelsea's friends, coworkers, and family members, who recount the instances when they fell prey to her shenanigans. I'm always envious of people who are clever enough to create a good prank and pull it off successfully. Chelsea Handler is a master at pulling pranks. At times they almost seem cruel, but the people in her life seem to understand that this is part of Chelsea and accept it with begrudgingly good humor. Fans of Chelsea's show will recognize some of the comedians that often appear such as Heather McDonald, Josh Wolf, and Brad Wollack. Outrageously funny, fans of Chelsea Handler will love this one.

No comments: