Wednesday, December 28, 2011

And For My Next Book...


As the year ends, a deluge of lists hit our desks and screens claiming the best books of 2011.  As much as I try to keep up with all the new books that make their debut throughout the year, it’s impossible to read them all.  And that starts me thinking about all the great books I might have missed in years past.  And then I start to worry that I will never read everything I want to or that I missed the greatest book ever written.

After I calm down and tell myself that books are meant to be enjoyed and it’s not a contest, I realize I need to select my next book.  What a decision!  Something that’s new or something that's old?  I decide to go with old, a 2007 publication date to be more specific.  I don’t even remember where I read the review of The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips, but it sounded intriguing. The story of a race to chronicle the tale of a seventeenth century courtesan who tries to warn the Venetian Council of a Spanish plot to overthrow the Venetian Republic sounded right up my alley.

Clare Donovan is trying to complete her thesis of the mysterious courtesan, Alessandra Rossetti, when she discovers that there is another scholar who may just beat her to it.  Clare’s career may never take off if this occurs. We follow Clare to present day Venice on her quest to locate the documents she needs to present her case.  Parallel to Clare’s story, we also read Alessandra’s story, which is filled with treachery, violence, politics and romance.

For those who love historical fiction, as I do, this book is a great find. A new author that has me wanting to read not only more by her, but also more about the little known Spanish Conspiracy against Venice.  The Rossetti Letter was just what I needed to remind me not to forget those books that don’t show up on any lists and to just relax and enjoy the book.

No comments: