Thursday, September 27, 2007

Food and Fiction

Can you believe I have never read a Diane Mott Davidson novel until now? She has been a popular mystery author for over 10 years, but I just got around to reading her first novel, Catering To Nobody. This is the first book in her series, featuring Goldy Bear, a caterer in a small Colorado town. While catering a funeral, her ex-father-in-law is poisoned and Goldy is a suspect. Intent on clearing her name, Goldy does some sleuthing on her own and uncovers some terrible secrets about her seemingly good natured ex-father-in-law.

This is what I would call a "cozy" mystery. The setting is a charming little town where everyone knows everyone else. The violence is minimal and there is no sex (at least not in this book-Goldy does marry in a future novel, so I assume there may be some eventually). I often find that some cozies are a little too cozy for me, and the amateur detective bit can sometimes seem a little far-fetched, but that's not the case here. The writing is very good. The descriptions of the town and the food are wonderful. There is a little pastry shop that Goldy frequents, and I can just see the cafe tables and smell the cinnamon roles. Goldy is a great character, who has picked herself up from an abusive relationship and is supporting herself and her son. But her life isn't perfect, and she deals with common issues, such as being able to pay the mortgage and dealing with a moody son who is entering puberty. The mystery kept me turning the pages until the end and Goldy's recipes are included, which I loved.

No comments: