Thursday, September 20, 2007

Match Me If You Can

Yesterday I had the wonderful experience of hearing Susan Elizabeth Phillips speak at a lunch for a group of librarians. She is a lot of fun-very funny and very sassy! In the past I have always steered away from the romance fiction genre. I guess because I've always thought of them as trashy novels with scantily clad women and shirtless Fabio-like men on the cover, featuring swooning women and an abundance of cheesy words like quivering and throbbing. But when a coworker recommended Phillips as a great romance writer, I hesitantly checked out Match Me If You Can. And I absolutely loved it.

Anabelle Granger inherits her grandmother's fledgling matchmaking business, and decides to turn it around by landing a huge client. She sets her sights on Heath Champion, a popular Chicago sports agent. Anabelle's determination wins her a chance to find the perfect match for Heath. Their stubborn personalities initially cause them to butt heads, but lead to a chemistry that neither can deny for long. Such a great story! Anabelle is a very real, very determined heroine. And you can't help but liking Heath, despite his arrogance. Obviously you know how the ending will play out, but it's a enjoyable ride nonetheless. It's fun, humorous and sexy. Without the quivering and throbbing.

2 comments:

Countess B said...

I too love S.E.P. I was lucky enough to stumble across her by accident. Now I think I've read everything she's written, and I'm wondering...are there any other authors with a similar style?

Melissa said...

I love Jennifer Crusie for a lot of the same reasons. You might also like Deborah Smith, Millie Criswell and Mary Kay Andrews. Happy reading!