Wednesday, September 26, 2007

On Chesil Beach

Ever since I read Ian McEwan's Atonement, which I loved, I have made it my mission to read the rest of his novels. Unfortunately I started with his latest, On Chesil Beach. The story didn't really appeal to me from the beginning, but the audio version just came in, and I thought it would be a good way to pass a long car ride. I have to say it was a let down after Atonement. It is a short novel-about 200 pages. It is the story of a young couple in the 1960's, on their wedding night. Both are still virgins and are worried about the impending consummation. Edward is worried that he will "arrive too soon" and Florence is simply disgusted by the idea of having sex and is completely dreading it. So, the event is a disaster and the marriage is ruined. First-why is Florence so disgusted by the idea of having sex? There was something in the background story that led me to believe she may have been molested by her father when she was a girl, but it wasn't very clear so I'm not sure. I would have liked more development there. Second, the marriage falls apart based on this one event? Not really believable to me. And after the two part ways, we hear what Florence is doing in her career, but we don't get any insight into her thoughts or feelings after time has passed. Bottom line: the story didn't do anything for me, and I just didn't care about either of the characters.

1 comment:

Tripp said...

Try the Innocent or Enduring Love, they aren't as good as Atonement, but they are quite good.