Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reading Resolution #1

So, one of my reading resolutions was to read a James Patterson book. I realized that I have taken somewhat of a haughty attitude toward his work. But, I figured there must be something to his books, since they seem pretty popular with the masses and I thought I had better actually read one before passing judgment. A reader suggested that I start with any of his Alex Cross books, but having seen the movie version of Kiss the Girls, I was afraid they might be a little creepy for me. I decided to start with 1st to Die, the first in the women's murder club series. A serial killer begins killing newlyweds on their honeymoon and detective Lindsay Boxer enlists the help of her friends, a reporter, a district attorney and a medical examiner, to help her solve the crime. I'll admit that it wasn't bad. The story was fast-paced and kept my attention. The mystery was interesting and kept me guessing who the killer was. Although the idea of a group of women solving crime was appealing to me, I had a hard time finding it plausible that a police detective would enlist the help of friends to solve a crime. The only person I could see her getting help from would be the medical examiner. But, quite a few mysteries feature very implausible crime solvers, such as the chef-turned-detective, so I can't fault it too much for that. All in all, an entertaining read, but I don't feel compelled to follow these characters.

No comments: