Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reading Resolutions

Happy 2008! I don't really make New Year's resolutions anymore. No more resolutions to exercise, eat right, take vitamins, less road rage, etc. They never last long and I end up feeling like a failure. The only resolutions I do make have to do with reading. It's the only thing I have a chance at succeeding at. My resolution for 2007 was simply to read more (duh). After reviewing my reading list for 2007, I found that I read 125 books over the year! My first successful resolution! I also resolved to read more in genres I don't normally read, which I accomplished (sort of) by reading two science fiction books by Isaac Asimov. So, for 2008 I'm going to:
1.) renew my resolution to read more and try to top 125
2.) read the books that are already on my shelf instead of buying more books
3.) read a challenging book that I've been putting off, such as Rushdie's Satanic Verses, Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, or anything by Hemingway
4.) read a James Patterson book (I've never actually read any of his books, and I feel like I probably shouldn't poo poo him until I've actually read one of his books)

What are your reading resolutions for 2008?

1 comment:

suzanneelizabeths.com said...

Well, I am absolutely impressed:

1) that you have read 125 books last year.

2) that you actually kept track of all those books so that you could count them!

As to your resolutions, I applaud them. For James Patterson, I would recommend any of his Alex Cross series, I feel they are the best of his writing.

Hemingway is one of my favorite writers and my favorite among his books is actually a memoir entitled: A Moveable Feast.

I noted your mention of McCall Smith's 'Love over Scotland', I've read most of his other books and can't wait to read this one as well.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Suzanne.

http://suzanneanderson.blogspot.com/